Close Side Menu
1601 Market Street
Suite 2600
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Phone: 215.825.8695
Fax: 215.825.8699
225 West 34th Street
14 Penn Plaza
New York, NY 10122
Phone: 646.787.1371
Fax: 215.825.8699
1 Thomas Cir NW – Industrious Thomas Circle
Suite 700
Washington D.C., 20005
Phone: 202-970-2642
Fax: 202-810-9031
Client Portal Pay Invoice

J-1 Waiver through Quasi-U.S. Government Agency


We represented an exchange visitor with a two-year home residence requirement who seemingly had no possible basis for a home-country return waiver. However, upon learning that he had authored a book on U.S.-Russia relations and was in the process of authoring another, we sought to find a U.S. government agency which might consider recommending him to the U.S. Department of State for a waiver.

We found the United States Institute for Peace. That organization’s mission — fostering peaceful relations between the United States and other countries — seemed to be consistent with the research and writing of our client. We approached the U.S. Institute for Peace, which agreed that our client’s presence in the United States was in furtherance of USIP’s interest. The problem is that USIP did not believe that it was a “U.S. government agency”. We did some research and determined that it is a “quasi-U.S. Government Agency”, and the U.S. Department of State agreed that that was sufficient for purposes of a J-1 waiver application. The waiver was, in fact, granted; and we were ultimately able to obtain permanent residence as an outstanding researcher for the Russian author.

About the J-1 Waiver

The J-1 visa waiver is available to J-1 visa exchange visitors who cannot return to their home-country after the program. If granted, options for permanent residency can be pursued.

Do you have a case you’d like considered? Contact the EB-1 attorney team for details.